HST??

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: HST??

Post by mr.bandaid »

Urbane wrote:[list]
Where did I say that the polls should be trusted? Nowhere. All I'm saying is if the NDP thinks the momentum isn't going their way they're more likely to make things up, i.e. the HST story. I do NOT trust polls and I have no idea who will win next Tuesday. I do have a hunch but I won't share that right now.

Where did I say you trusted the polls? All I said is you like to quote them when they favor the Liberals.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

mr.bandaid wrote:Where did I say you trusted the polls? All I said is you like to quote them when they favor the Liberals.
Answer:
Urbane only quotes polls when it is advantage Liberals. When it is the other way than the polls are not to be trusted.

The opposite of "not to be trusted" is "trusted" but let's get back on topic. Do you really think that the Liberals would re-introduce the HST?
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Who knows? They promised once not to introduce the HST and did the opposite. Cost this province a bundle in a referendum where it was defeated. I wouldn't put it past them but hey.....Rahh rahh siss boon ba.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

mr.bandaid wrote:Who knows? They promised once not to introduce the HST and did the opposite. Cost this province a bundle in a referendum where it was defeated. I wouldn't put it past them but hey.....Rahh rahh siss boon ba.

I would cheer if it were re-introduced, and this time, if a referendum is held, make it a requirement that 66.7% of voters have to over-turn, so that 800,000 NDP lunatics can't send us back to the old non-competitive PST system.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Whatever. The point is they bald faced lied. HST, PST, GST. However they want to reach into my wallet is something unavoidable. Just don't lie to me about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

mr.bandaid wrote:Whatever. The point is they bald faced lied. HST, PST, GST. However they want to reach into my wallet is something unavoidable. Just don't lie to me about it.

Yup. Just like the BC NDP did in 1996 with the Fudge It Budget and the Manitoba NDP lied about raising the Manitoba PST by 1%. In both of those cases the NDP were swept from power, and extremely handily. Why couldn't the BC Liberals be swept from power in 2013? How ineffective is our Opposition in this province? It's time for a change. It's time for the NDP to go.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

News flash. For those of you living in the 90's. It is time to get yourselves a new calendar. We now have electric cars and bikes and even cell phones more powerful than the 90's computers.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

mr.bandaid wrote:News flash. For those of you living in the 90's. It is time to get yourselves a new calendar. We now have electric cars and bikes and even cell phones more powerful than the 90's computers.

time to get people who were not in power in the 90s, horgan is a good example. get a curent leader with common sense , and you may have a chance to win an election. [icon_lol2.gif] :admin:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

mr.bandaid wrote:News flash. For those of you living in the 90's. It is time to get yourselves a new calendar. We now have electric cars and bikes and even cell phones more powerful than the 90's computers.

Two problems with that statement, first of all it isn't anyone who's defending Liberals fault, that it's a long gone era since the NDP were in power, however their history is pertinent to today.

The second is that even though seemingly light years away, we are still saddled with remnants of that era within the NDP, and allegedly pulling the strings.

It seems they are stuck in those bygone years, what with their strategy and all still the same.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Your 'memory' of the 1990s is faulty to the Nth degree. The Progress Board that Campbell instituted after he was elected was killed off by Christy in 2011 because it showed the BC Liberals had shown 'no progress' or 'progress in the wrong direction'.

The BC Business Council, an independent group of BC Business managers also indicated that comparatively, the NDP of the 1990s was 'marginally better' managers of the budget than the BC Liberals.

Don't believe a single word that comes out of Christy Clark's mouth. She wants, and WILL without a doubt, if she wins the upcoming election slam us with MORE 'stealth taxes' and more fees, double digit Hydro and ICBC rates, will renege on MSP premium cuts and will increase 'incentives' to her crony corporations to drain our pockets drier than she is doing now.
Chill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:^^Your 'memory' of the 1990s is faulty to the Nth degree. The Progress Board that Campbell instituted after he was elected was killed off by Christy in 2011 because it showed the BC Liberals had shown 'no progress' or 'progress in the wrong direction'.

The BC Business Council, an independent group of BC Business managers also indicated that comparatively, the NDP of the 1990s was 'marginally better' managers of the budget than the BC Liberals.

Don't believe a single word that comes out of Christy Clark's mouth. She wants, and WILL without a doubt, if she wins the upcoming election slam us with MORE 'stealth taxes' and more fees, double digit Hydro and ICBC rates, will renege on MSP premium cuts and will increase 'incentives' to her crony corporations to drain our pockets drier than she is doing now.

Oh give it a rest already that's utter bull crap! The NDP "marginally" managed the budget better, well given that they built and maintained bupkis, they should have been stellar considering the only monies they spent went to their masters.

At least under the Liberals we see something for our money, something tangible, not just better vacations for BCTF executives.

The statistic that matters most is how the economy is doing, and that has been a lot more than "marginally" better under the Liberals.

To most of us, guiding the province through the worst crash in recent history, and taking us to the best economy in Canada, from worst, would be considered progress.

Clearly you have your alternate definition.

FYI our pockets were drained drier under the NDP. That's actually what less disposable income means, and easily enough supported by official government statistics.

As for things going up, when haven't they? You are one of the, if not THE loudest voices in here when it comes to demands, expectations, yada yada yada........... so what did you think that all the stuff you have on your wish list is free?

And again, the NDP began the practice of siphoning off money, from ICBC and BC Hydro, so methinks you might be misdirecting your animosity just a titch.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

All I know is, I had much more disposable income in the 90s than I have ever since. I was able to pay my utility bills, insure my car, and still have money left over to put gas in it, drive to the supermarket, buy groceries, and maybe even take the kids on a camping trip. Not anymore.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

flamingfingers wrote:^^Your 'memory' of the 1990s is faulty to the Nth degree.

I remember that the horrible disgusting NDP lost the 2001 election 77-2. That's really all anyone needs to know.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

Do none of the Lib loyalists here read any of the objective, ie. Non-partisan, sources?

Clark has clearly stated that there is NO HST under consideration... Then she mentioned the possibility of a Value-added Tax.

Until confronted directly yesterday after much negative public speculation given the memories of the HST debacle -- to which she suddenly flipped and replied that there would be no VAT on the table.

Now, the question moving forward in my mind as a voter is this: Do we take this at face value, or do we harken back to when she reassured us of the same before the introduction of the HST?
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Rank a file shouldn't necessarily have a say in complicated matters. As a business owner, I favoured HST, but people that perhaps only saw the bottom line opposed it.

Honestly, rank and file voted for 12% v.10% on a principle that only affected their bottom line...without realizing, that bottom line, would have changed as time went on.

Federal and provincial budgets outcomes changing within a time scale before the "engine" has even warmed up.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”