Re: Fire in Lower mission?

Post by Troy »

That fire is also visible from our Knox Mountain webcam:

at 12:30pm:
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Condo Fire at Truswell

Post by lesliepaul »

Yep........I am going to put my money into a wood framed condo development so that the developer can have a larger profit margin.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JagXKR wrote:
forum wrote:The roofer is going to be traumatized for life. And I feel bad for the guy, these guys have a tough job and honestly don't get paid well for their efforts.

That being said, no way he should have been working alone with an open flame on a stick building.

I blame the Site Supervisor on this one for allowing the situation to even be an option.

What if the roofer was the supervisor? :200:

Was not the contractor . Local roofing company . Well known . Won't say who on here
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

WalterWhite wrote:
How many more car accidents are going to happen before cars are banned? Installed properly by qualified installers mod bit roofing is safe, affordable and durable. I certainly wouldn't be basing anything off of an info-mercial from a roofing supplier touting a new product. Torch on definitely lasts longer than the 15 year max they're saying. Fire suppression equipment is mandatory when installing, and as I stated earlier, this guy's unfortunately going to have a few hard questions to answer. Properly equipped there's no reason a single worker couldn't have dealt with a fire in that situation.

One fire extinguisher, one. That's all that's required per torch. Also I have yet to see one car destroy a whole building. But one roofer can destroy a whole building and severely damage others. And sometimes they destroy already lived in condo's that are getting their modified bitumen roofs redone. The reason they do them so much is they are cheaper. In Spanish "El barato sale caro", the cheap comes out expensive.

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/resources ... ng?lang=en
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

forum wrote:The roofer is going to be traumatized for life. And I feel bad for the guy, these guys have a tough job and honestly don't get paid well for their efforts.

That being said, no way he should have been working alone with an open flame on a stick building.

I blame the Site Supervisor on this one for allowing the situation to even be an option.

agree
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

You will probably have to confirm with a commercial roofing company but I have been told that you should of had a burn permit and it is mandatory to have a fire extinguisher nearby . Two things come to mind. Was the work being done to avoid some rules and why were you up there working by yourself. Trying to get away with something while nobody around ???
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Noisy Boater wrote:You will probably have to confirm with a commercial roofing company but I have been told that you should of had a burn permit and it is mandatory to have a fire extinguisher nearby . Two things come to mind. Was the work being done to avoid some rules and why were you up there working by yourself. Trying to get away with something while nobody around ???

Very valid questions and anyone that has had dealings with a roofing company that rhymes with badge will suspect corners were being cut and safety measures were not adhered too!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

WalterWhite wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:No this goes higher . Stairwells need to be concrete floor to rooftop. If this happened at night in an occupied structure we are looking at 20 dead

In a word - no. Fire doors and fire suppression were not operational due to the project still being built from what I understand. Finished firewalls, corridors and exits would have provided the required safe zone necessary for the time required - the designs are specific for that. I have no idea what level of completion the project was at overall, but I heard some owners were expecting to be moving in less than 2 months from now. That said, given the speed with which this took off, I would expect there was some unfinished areas, likely in the upper floor(s) which would be further from completion than ground floor units and even more susceptible to fire.

For me . That is relying way too much on engineering and response times . I'd rather see fire proof concrete in the stairwells
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

phasyluck wrote:I smell arson.

Nope! Worse than that.....incompetent roofing company.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Display Guy wrote:
Noisy Boater wrote:You will probably have to confirm with a commercial roofing company but I have been told that you should of had a burn permit and it is mandatory to have a fire extinguisher nearby . Two things come to mind. Was the work being done to avoid some rules and why were you up there working by yourself. Trying to get away with something while nobody around ???

Very valid questions and anyone that has had dealings with a roofing company that rhymes with badge will suspect corners were being cut and safety measures were not adhered too!

Dependant upon who insures them . Either supposed to remain on site 2 or 4 hours after last torch goes out . Also fire suppression equipment is required to my limited knowledge

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

JagXKR wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
How many more car accidents are going to happen before cars are banned? Installed properly by qualified installers mod bit roofing is safe, affordable and durable. I certainly wouldn't be basing anything off of an info-mercial from a roofing supplier touting a new product. Torch on definitely lasts longer than the 15 year max they're saying. Fire suppression equipment is mandatory when installing, and as I stated earlier, this guy's unfortunately going to have a few hard questions to answer. Properly equipped there's no reason a single worker couldn't have dealt with a fire in that situation.

One fire extinguisher, one. That's all that's required per torch. Also I have yet to see one car destroy a whole building. But one roofer can destroy a whole building and severely damage others. And sometimes they destroy already lived in condo's that are getting their modified bitumen roofs redone. The reason they do them so much is they are cheaper. In Spanish "El barato sale caro", the cheap comes out expensive.

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/resources ... ng?lang=en

It's a rhetorical statement. As I said, a properly trained single worker is quite capable of dealing with a fire resulting from mod-bit torch applications. I'll wait until the facts are presented before throwing this worker under the bus, but something tells me he may not have been properly prepared. Yes, mod-bit roofing is cheaper and more durable than some of the alternatives - and has been used safely for many years.
Last edited by WalterWhite on Jul 8th, 2017, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WalterWhite wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:No this goes higher . Stairwells need to be concrete floor to rooftop. If this happened at night in an occupied structure we are looking at 20 dead

In a word - no. Fire doors and fire suppression were not operational due to the project still being built from what I understand. Finished firewalls, corridors and exits would have provided the required safe zone necessary for the time required - the designs are specific for that. I have no idea what level of completion the project was at overall, but I heard some owners were expecting to be moving in less than 2 months from now. That said, given the speed with which this took off, I would expect there was some unfinished areas, likely in the upper floor(s) which would be further from completion than ground floor units and even more susceptible to fire.

Jflem1983 wrote:For me . That is relying way too much on engineering and response times . I'd rather see fire proof concrete in the stairwells

It's worked just fine - and safely - for decades.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 9th, 2017, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”