Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote: Jul 24th, 2022, 2:31 pm

When we're talking about climate money is last on the list of priorities. Dead last.
I really hope that this nonsense written above isn't true, because this is communism, through and through.
Clean air matters.
Sure. But the discussion about "clean air" has nothing to do with wind turbines. Or the man-made climate change myth.
Clean water matters.
See statement above.
Having a climate we can grow food in matters. We can't eat money.
Yup. We can eat food, grown with fertilizers created from natural gas. We can continue to look at ways to convert to nuclear power, to get away from solar and wind power that just plain suck. We can't eat money, but wind turbines sure can.
So we need to look at other ways to produce clean energy while also managing other risks.
Great - let's do that. Let's get rid of wind power, and go on nuclear power. I'm 100% behind that, even though I think man-made climate change is a hoax, that only really stupid people believe exist.
It's not black and white but it does matter. We've put far too much emphasis on return and not nearly enough on risk.
I disagree. It's all about return. It has to be. I see a lot of lip service being given to a concept known as "sustainability", mostly coming from people who have no idea what this word means. In order for a power source to survive in society, it has to provide a sustainable return. It can't go on forever losing money. It has to pay for itself. Wind and solar don't do that. Not only are they "dirty" technologies, they just plain suck financially. Killing birds in the name of fairy tales is a sad consequence of really dumb, bad policy, that future generations are going to judge us on, very harshly. And rightly so.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 4:59 pm
Monarchs, like coral, bounce back.
Except they havent......

The Planet Has Lost Half of Its Coral Reefs Since 1950
Scientists have long known that reefs are in peril, but a new study published today in the journal One Earth quantifies coral losses around the world. The in-depth analysis reveals half of coral reefs have been lost since the 1950s. Scientists say climate change, overfishing and pollution are decimating these fragile ecosystems and putting communities and livelihoods in jeopardy. Their study, which is among the most comprehensive assessment of reefs and their associated biodiversity to date, underscores the rapid pace of global coral collapse.

“Coral reefs have been in decline worldwide—I think that's pretty commonly accepted,” says Tyler Eddy, a research scientist at Memorial University of Newfoundland who co-authored the study. “We didn't necessarily know the magnitude of how much, when we looked on a global scale, that reefs had declined.”
I https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180978701/
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

foenix wrote: Jul 24th, 2022, 3:58 pm
Jlabute wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 4:59 pm
Monarchs, like coral, bounce back.
Except they havent......

The Planet Has Lost Half of Its Coral Reefs Since 1950
Scientists have long known that reefs are in peril, but a new study published today in the journal One Earth quantifies coral losses around the world. The in-depth analysis reveals half of coral reefs have been lost since the 1950s. Scientists say climate change, overfishing and pollution are decimating these fragile ecosystems and putting communities and livelihoods in jeopardy. Their study, which is among the most comprehensive assessment of reefs and their associated biodiversity to date, underscores the rapid pace of global coral collapse.

“Coral reefs have been in decline worldwide—I think that's pretty commonly accepted,” says Tyler Eddy, a research scientist at Memorial University of Newfoundland who co-authored the study. “We didn't necessarily know the magnitude of how much, when we looked on a global scale, that reefs had declined.”
I https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180978701/
To be fair he's not a scientist, he just plays one on the internet.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

When all the horrific damages from windwhirlers is tabulated one would think oil is a good choice, with exception of nuclear, even better.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Catsumi wrote: Jul 24th, 2022, 5:33 pm When all the horrific damages from windwhirlers is tabulated one would think oil is a good choice, with exception of nuclear, even better.
: :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

So, changing to heat pumps is going to do what exactly? Or, Summerland's expensive solar project with our tax dollars??? : https://oilprice.com/Energy/Coal/Energy ... ption.html

Snip: Global coal-fired electricity generators are producing more power than ever before in response to booming electricity demand after the pandemic and the surging price of gas following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Snip: The world’s coal-fired generators produced a record 10,244 terawatt-hours (TWh) in 2021 surpassing the previous record of 10,098 TWh set in 2018 (“Statistical review of world energy”, BP, July 2022).

Without a doubt, climate patterns have /are changing, however a big panic to move to electric cars or heat pumps, are really just virtue signaling really. Want to make a difference? Plug these CO2 emitters at the same time as providing a cheap 24/7 electrical generation. Yeup, not an easy thing to do.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

seewood wrote: Jul 24th, 2022, 8:45 pm So, changing to heat pumps is going to do what exactly? Or, Summerland's expensive solar project with our tax dollars??? : https://oilprice.com/Energy/Coal/Energy ... ption.html

Snip: Global coal-fired electricity generators are producing more power than ever before in response to booming electricity demand after the pandemic and the surging price of gas following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Snip: The world’s coal-fired generators produced a record 10,244 terawatt-hours (TWh) in 2021 surpassing the previous record of 10,098 TWh set in 2018 (“Statistical review of world energy”, BP, July 2022).

Without a doubt, climate patterns have /are changing, however a big panic to move to electric cars or heat pumps, are really just virtue signaling really. Want to make a difference? Plug these CO2 emitters at the same time as providing a cheap 24/7 electrical generation. Yeup, not an easy thing to do.
Who is doing this virtue signaling ? What is the purpose to do that ? Who benefits from that exactly ? Do you know what a greenhouse effect is ? Do you know why cars interiors heat up on sunny days with windows rolled up even if its cool outside the car ? Have you heard of the planet venus .

These are questions that have never been answered by the anti reality crowd .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Great article on what is really going on

Canada's National Observer: Canada's oil industry fiddles while Europe burns.
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/0 ... rope-burns
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:29 am Great article on what is really going on

Canada's National Observer: Canada's oil industry fiddles while Europe burns.
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/0 ... rope-burns

Now on to the real world - Drake hops in bed with man-made climate change lunatics, and then instantly regrets his virtue-signaling when they turn on him. What utter fools these celebs are for hopping in bed with such disgusting, awful people. Sorry Drake, but these people are pure scum!
Drake criticized for repeated private jet flights between Hamilton and Toronto
Canadian artist has flown between the two cities four times since June 17, with each flight lasting between 14 to 18 minutes

Last summer, Drake partnered with climate group Aspiration, which promised to help him reduce and offset his carbon footprint by auditing his schedule, events and travel.

But that hasn’t stopped the global star from engaging in one what one climate activist likened to “unnecessary joy rides.”

Drake took his plane from Hamilton to Toronto on an 18-minute flight July 12. He made the same trip on a 14-minute flight June 28, and again on a 16-minute flight June 17. According to CelebJets, each of the flights emitted about five tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

“It’s extremely wasteful,” said Ian Borsuk, climate campaign co-ordinator for Environment Hamilton. “As a single person, he’s probably emitting more on one flight than most people who make that drive emit in a month or even a year.”

Exuberant, costly and damaging — but not uncommon.

Drake is just one of dozens of celebrities who are now coming under fire for their jet-setting tendencies.
https://www.thespec.com/entertainment/c ... _web_ymbii
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am
Do you know what a greenhouse effect is ?
Yes. A myth that isn't happening on earth right now, but is being perpetuated by shysters and gullible fools.
Do you know why cars interiors heat up on sunny days with windows rolled up even if its cool outside the car ?
Sure. This has nothing to do with the man-made climate change myth. This is useless fear mongering.
Have you heard of the planet venus .
Yup. Nothing to do with the man-made climate change myth.
These are questions that have never been answered by the anti reality crowd .
Yup, exactly. The "anti-reality" crowd that has bought into the man-made climate change myth truly just lie and fear-monger. The eco-lunatics must be stopped before they kill us all, in the name of non-existent fairy tales.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am Who is doing this virtue signaling ?
Many are. Take Summerland for example. Using our tax dollars primarily to install a solar array project. For what end? BC's hydro supply is cheaper and available 24/7 365 days a year regardless of the weather.
Those that believe we have to hurry up and purchase a taxpayer subsidized electric car or the world will end are another lot that seems to have blinders on as to where a quicker source of CO2 emission reduction can come from. The Stop Fortis gas pipeline expansion behind Penticton and Naramata group so we can purchase an expensive subsidized heat pump, that may well need back up heat.
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am What is the purpose to do that ?
To give themselves warm and fuzzy feelings so they can sleep better at night?
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am Who benefits from that exactly ?
Likely similar to environmental groups that want to stop logging, when a bunch of noise is made and protests occur, the donations flood in enriching the "managers" of these so called environmental groups.
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am Do you know what a greenhouse effect is
Yeup, learned all about the affinity of CO2 to absorb heat back in grade 10- 1973.
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am Do you know why cars interiors heat up on sunny days with windows rolled up even if its cool outside the car ?
I believe heat sinks might have been later that year.
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 11:04 am Have you heard of the planet venus .
Yeup, that was back in elementary school in the 60's. Some might argue women are from Venus, but there is also an argument that some come from some other gawd damn place...

Not sure what your point is but I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Well you did answer i give credit for that . As for the substance well im disagreeing . Cheers :130:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Weather related deaths are down over 90% in the past 100 years: https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-ac ... 1635973538
295991223_606953750789632_3388617684428937191_n.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Glacier wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 2:52 pm Weather related deaths are down over 90% in the past 100 years: https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-ac ... 1635973538

:panic: :panic:
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Glacier wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 2:52 pm Weather related deaths are down over 90% in the past 100 years: https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-ac ... 1635973538

Didn't we have this discussion couple of years back?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”