Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 83722
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 10:08 am
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 10:57 pm Nothing to see here , move it along , its just a hoax that magicaly killed a person r.i.p.

https://apnews.com/article/floods-weath ... 604c6004f5
It is called weather. Weather is chaotic and unpredictable. Natural disasters usually kill people. It's amazing only 1 person perished. Nothing unusual about it.

The hoax happens when YOU believe it is due to climate change, rather than weather and factors that cause water to backup or pool.
:up: :up:
"The western far Left is habitually the most stupid, naive people you can imagine. They come up with these really goofy constructs and it's all about feeling good about yourself."
From the river to the sea, Israel must be psychopath Hamas free.
foenix
Guru
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mar 30th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by foenix »

:biggrin:

Researchers can now explain how climate change is affecting your weather
Chances are, if you live on Earth, you've experienced some strange, or downright dangerous, weather in the last few years. Maybe it was a heat wave that was hotter and longer than you'd ever experienced. Or a thunderstorm that dropped a scary amount of rain. Or a powerful hurricane that seemed to materialize overnight.

Climate change is part of that story. Extreme weather is more likely as the Earth gets hotter. But such sweeping statements can feel impersonal, when really what you want to know is: has climate change affected me?

"You have some extreme weather disaster, and people want to know: Did climate change flood my house? Did climate change make it so hot that my power went out?" says Michael Wehner, a senior scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory who studies how climate change influences extreme weather. "Those are good questions."

Now, scientists can answer those questions with more and more certainty. For some types of weather, it's become possible to say exactly how much worse it was because of climate change. Or that without global warming, the disaster would not have happened at all.
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/11078144 ... ur-weather
User avatar
Jlabute
Guru
Posts: 6649
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by Jlabute »

foenix wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 12:09 pm Researchers can now explain how climate change is affecting your weather
Chances are, if you live on Earth, you've experienced some strange, or downright dangerous, weather in the last few years. Maybe it was a heat wave that was hotter and longer than you'd ever experienced. Or a thunderstorm that dropped a scary amount of rain. Or a powerful hurricane that seemed to materialize overnight.

Climate change is part of that story. Extreme weather is more likely as the Earth gets hotter. But such sweeping statements can feel impersonal, when really what you want to know is: has climate change affected me?

"You have some extreme weather disaster, and people want to know: Did climate change flood my house? Did climate change make it so hot that my power went out?" says Michael Wehner, a senior scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory who studies how climate change influences extreme weather. "Those are good questions."

Now, scientists can answer those questions with more and more certainty. For some types of weather, it's become possible to say exactly how much worse it was because of climate change. Or that without global warming, the disaster would not have happened at all.
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/11078144 ... ur-weather
So Berkeley, it is already unbelievable and not worth reading. Probably based on statistical analysis of past events and models (all of which are wrong). Doesn't seem to explain why there have been no EF-5 hurricanes since 2013 when there SHOULD be because they are all getting stronger! Obviously no powerful hurricane developed over-night. Wildfires are decreasing as recorded by satellite, contrary to Michael's claim.

So let's see Michael make an actual prediction, rather than give a play-by-play hind-sight guess. After a hurricane occurs, you say it had 15% more rain on average... I'd like to see him make that prediction before it happens.

Such a joke, seeing that hurricanes are not increasing globally, among other various occurrences. They would be hard pressed to explain their theories and allow the scientific community to see their methods. Obviously it is all a secret. I would guess that "more and more certainty" means 2% instead of 1%. Unfortunate for Michael, heat waves did occur in the pre-industrial world.... even worse than today since global temperatures were naturally warmer as the theory goes.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 39809
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

Summerside pei to go 65 percent renewable .

https://globalnews.ca/news/9016831/summ ... on-canada/
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

Glacier wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 2:34 pm
What does a paranoid truckers protest supporter have to do with climate change ? Nothing
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
foenix
Guru
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mar 30th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by foenix »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 1:44 pm
foenix wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 12:09 pm Researchers can now explain how climate change is affecting your weather



https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/11078144 ... ur-weather
So Berkeley, it is already unbelievable and not worth reading. Probably based on statistical analysis of past events and models (all of which are wrong). Doesn't seem to explain why there have been no EF-5 hurricanes since 2013 when there SHOULD be because they are all getting stronger! Obviously no powerful hurricane developed over-night. Wildfires are decreasing as recorded by satellite, contrary to Michael's claim.

So let's see Michael make an actual prediction, rather than give a play-by-play hind-sight guess. After a hurricane occurs, you say it had 15% more rain on average... I'd like to see him make that prediction before it happens.

Such a joke, seeing that hurricanes are not increasing globally, among other various occurrences. They would be hard pressed to explain their theories and allow the scientific community to see their methods. Obviously it is all a secret. I would guess that "more and more certainty" means 2% instead of 1%. Unfortunate for Michael, heat waves did occur in the pre-industrial world.... even worse than today since global temperatures were naturally warmer as the theory goes.
Sounds like weather to me :biggrin: ......
The recent lack of EF5s fits into a trend toward fewer of these most intense tornadoes in recent years. However, because of their rarity and some changes in the way tornadoes are rated, experts aren’t convinced of how meaningful this trend is............

To begin, it’s difficult to draw inferences from events that happen infrequently. There have been 59 F/EF5 tornadoes in the modern record, which began in 1950. An annual average of EF5 tornadoes yields just shy of one per year. But violent tornadoes can come in swarms. In the years when you have one, there is a decent chance that there’s more than one. For instance, 2011 had six across three days in April and May.


In addition, the EF scale has limitations, because tornadoes are rated on what they hit, not what they miss. In other words, if a violent tornado plows an open field, it wouldn’t earn the same high rating that it would if it a leveled a town. Ratings on today’s EF scale for tornadoes are based on 28 potential damage indicators, which range from small buildings to large buildings, and include other assorted objects..........

Long pauses in these mammoth twisters are not uncommon because of their infrequency. Over the past seven decades, there have been seven lengthy streaks of 1,000 days or more without tornadoes of EF5 intensity...........

Even so, Harold Brooks, senior research scientist with the NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory, urged caution in analyzing violent tornado trends. He told The Washington Post that “the most reliable” accounting of tornadoes includes all twisters rated EF1 or higher. “Counts of events stronger than that have been affected by changes in reporting over the years,” he wrote.

In the past, he said, it was arguably easier for a tornado to earn a high rating. “Pre-1978 tornadoes were rated retrospectively by summer students based on the text description of the damage,” he wrote. [icon_lol2.gif]

In addition, when the F scale changed to the EF scale in 2007, Brooks said, changes were made “in what is needed to get the highest rating,” which makes comparisons over time difficult.

Changes in the sturdiness and the engineering of buildings may also have affected how ratings have evolved.

“It is incredibly difficult to consider ALL possible construction outcomes,” Stephanie Pilkington, an assistant professor of engineering at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, wrote to The Post. “Building standards have improved greatly since the 90s with concern for wind.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... ht-record/
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

just some flooding in kentucky

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/weather/ ... index.html
still a hoax?
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

Video from kentucky .

https://youtu.be/_XNL4bVomyA

it is amazing the destruction from such little creeks . Lot of folks lost everything , dont even know where their houses are .

This video shows the relief effort started in kentucky

https://youtu.be/LN6MS0A3aEk
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

D.c moves to ban gas from most new buildings

https://dcist.com/story/22/07/14/dc-nat ... struction/
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
Jlabute
Guru
Posts: 6649
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by Jlabute »

The Great Coral Reef is bouncing back even more! Cyclones have died down allowing the reefs to naturally repair.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/08/03/ ... te-change/


Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

No more grass in nevada due to climate change


https://www.cbsnews.com/news/due-to-cli ... -to-grass/ :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif]
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

Water for drinking dries up in france amid drought

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... ic-drought
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
seewood
Guru
Posts: 6368
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by seewood »

So, BC wants to sue "Big oil" because of climate change.
Is Horgan egging them on, even after his failed attempt at a law suit against TMX?

Just more virtue signaling from ones driving to their protests in an ICE vehicle.
Stop coal powered electricity(in the world) and you stop about 40% of the CO2 emissions.
ICE vehicles will be phased out over time, no doubt about it, just not fast enough for the unrealistic with blinders on.


https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/379345 ... g-Big-Oil-
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”