Want to share your spiritual experiences?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Want to share your spiritual experiences?

Post by 1nick »

Hang around the Brazilian women’s volleyball locker room.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

oldtrucker wrote:Depends on what happened and if there are any other witnesses or other evidence to back up your sanity or insanity. If you decide you are okay upstairs and what you experienced is out of the norm. Only you can decide that.

And that's just it. As a child, I grew up in an old house. My dad and grandpa build it. Big house. 4 story. When I'd go to bed at night, I'd hear all sorts of sounds.. Not my parents enjoying each others company... I mean, creaking and dimming lights and such. Things that, as a child, I attributed so ghosts. I needed to sleep with my lights on, I needed the music playing beside my head and needed all the closet doors open, just so that I could fall asleep after an hour of fear, some nights.

I out grew it. Years later in the house I now own, I know that one of the closets creeks when I walk near it. The lights in the hall dim a little when I run the microwave or vacuum. When the house is cold and the furnace kicks on, some of the ducting makes a light ticking sound. When it's windy, one of my bathroom vents flapper opens and closes making a light banging sound. Also, when windy, one of my planters tips over and sometimes blows across my deck.

As a child, if I was laying in bed and heard any of that, I'd think ghosts. I'd be terrified. As an adult, I look for the source of what still causes my imagine to run wild. I am able to explain away all of the things about my current house without invoking ghosts or a god or aliens or spirits... Not to say that there aren't any of those out there. because I don't know either way.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote:
capleton wrote:Well, he claimed scientific explanations were rubbish on the first page, so I was just wondering with all the research on nde's and neurology how could he conclude nde's were "spiritual experiences".

Just like anything in science though, nobody can use it to prove that they're not spiritual experiences. Besides, I suspect that some who believe these are spiritual experiences may not require the experience to be outside of the realm of science.

Spiritual experiences don't say anything about the supernatural though, neurology can explain it a lot better then religion. If you study nde's, Christians have experiences with Yahweh/Jesus, Muslims have spiritual experiences of Allah and his Prophet and Hindus have experiences with Shiva and Vishnu. So its not surprising that people have experiences based on their cultural background and I'm sure the pysch ward is full of people who had "spiritual experience"
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

capleton wrote:Spiritual experiences don't say anything about the supernatural though, neurology can explain it a lot better then religion. If you study nde's, Christians have experiences with Yahweh/Jesus, Muslims have spiritual experiences of Allah and his Prophet and Hindus have experiences with Shiva and Vishnu. So its not surprising that people have experiences based on their cultural background and I'm sure the pysch ward is full of people who had "spiritual experience"

For you, is it possible that all people of faith who have experiences with their god, are actually all referring to the same god? They may call it different things and have beliefs around it that aren't aligned, but couldn't it be possible that the god they claim to experience is all one in the same?
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

"be possible that the god they claim to experience is all one in the same?"

That for me would open a series of questions about honesty / deception. Can a god (if it exists) say thou shall not bear false witness and then lie even if the lie is a lie of omission.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Ranger66 wrote:That for me would open a series of questions about honesty / deception. Can a god (if it exists) say thou shall not bear false witness and then lie even if the lie is a lie of omission.

If I was a god, and I revealed myself to people of different cultures, who each created an identity for me, would it be a deception if they all called me by a different name and interpreted me in different ways?

I'm not a believer, so for me this is all academic.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

I think this kind of discussion should be academic.

“If I was a god, and I revealed myself to people of different cultures, who each created an identity for me,”

So, if people create an identity for a god that is all the same god (all powerful and all knowing) can they create graven images or likenesses of that god, sometimes but not others, some places and not others, is god fair? Not sure this meets the level of Spiritual experiences but in religion you never know where you will end up.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

here's something freaky...when I was a kid (think 9 or 10 yrs old) I went to a sleepover and someone brought a Ouija Board..one of the girls asked how old she would be when she died and it said 58 , then she asked how she would die and it said "Diverticulitis"..us being so young we had no idea what that was and had to look the word up in the dictionary..

she died 4 days before her 58 th birthday and she died of diverticulitis...

now how freaky is that ??
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

W105 wrote:here's something freaky...when I was a kid (think 9 or 10 yrs old) I went to a sleepover and someone brought a Ouija Board..one of the girls asked how old she would be when she died and it said 58 , then she asked how she would die and it said "Diverticulitis"..us being so young we had no idea what that was and had to look the word up in the dictionary..

Pretty freaky for sure.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

W105 wrote:here's something freaky...when I was a kid (think 9 or 10 yrs old) I went to a sleepover and someone brought a Ouija Board..one of the girls asked how old she would be when she died and it said 58 , then she asked how she would die and it said "Diverticulitis"..us being so young we had no idea what that was and had to look the word up in the dictionary..

Not to discount your recollection of what happened those many years ago, but if you think that's freaky, consider the number of times people use an ouija board and have none of the predictions come true.

I remember being a kid, probably the same age you described, and we all sat around asking questions. One that stood out for me was that it either spelled out "You will die", or we asked the question about my death and it answered "yes". Either way, I was freaked out. As it turns out, I haven't died yet, but the prophecy is true; I will die. It's not freaky to me anymore though. Someone in the group guided the little disk around the board. They were just that much smarter than me at the time. (they probably still are smarter than me. lol)
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

As my Father was is his final 3 or so minutes before he passed an odd feeling made me look at him from the book I was reading and I witnessed something I have never shared, not even with Hospice staff.

I looked up at my Dad who was asleep and highly drugged for pain and his face suddenly went very slack and then a slight smile and then a full smile (I had his teeth). His eyes opened to a wide "child on Christmas morning" like happy, thrilled and full of life. He reached a very thin arm into the air like he was getting a hand up off the ground. He laughed. He started mumbling towards the left ceiling side of the room. At one point he turned and looked at me so long I thought he had died but he looked back at the wall, laughed again and said 'yes'. That was it. Yes. One word and he was gone. So simple, so easy.

I don't know about this being a spiritual thing but I sure no longer fear dying. It was easy for him, painless, super happy, and he saw something that made him want to leave, like he had company, a party waiting for him and he really wanted to go and he did. He had cancer but it was the starvation that got him in the end as it blocked the way to his stomach.

You knew the moment he left. The room feel changed. Something was no longer there that had been. I still had the body but not the man. I'll never know what he saw but he was incredibly comforted by something beyond my vision.

To me , he went back to the place he came from after one hell of a run here. They? came for him and he left with them, whom ever 'they' are. I felt at peace. I felt like he had a welcoming party. I felt no sorrow for him. He became an ancestor. A memory. His Soul left. Where it went I know not but what I saw cleared any fear I may have had about death.

Is this Spiritual? Maybe. I've got more but this got wrote 1st.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Yes he was raised by a hard core Roman Catholic Metis woman. He was a strong atheist due to the crap he said he heard his whole life about an evil angry punishing God. He always said that the guilt and rules didn't work. His God was a motorcycle riding, flat black low rider 1936 coupe, girls are great kind God that granted his wishes rather than holding him to an unholy height that no human could ever meet. Grandma cried a lot he said because God was going to single him out for punishment if he didn't stop acting like a boy. She hung crosses with a dead bleeding Jesus above every door and it was incredibly scary as a kid to see. She hung them over all the beds too. It was like Grandma hanging shrunken heads or something equally as gruesome.

Well, it sure didn't look like that happened, he was smiling as he passed.

He was a rebel with catholic backing that turned him away from all religion and he had a great fun life.

I still feel very calm about his and quite frankly everyones' death, its just another adventure and all the crap from this life gets tossed in the bin and we start again for another round of "let's play human".

I've seen a ghost and all kinds of things because I love the odd and unusual. I see stuff because I want to. If you are so busy looking left you will never see what is happening of to the right. I was taught to look both ways and I have a great creative fun life.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

That's like counting the drops in the Oceans, to huge.

We won't know what is coming until it comes. Could be blackness or meadows, reuniting Souls or nothingness. Maybe God/ Allah/ Jesus/ John Denver or whoever, matters not because hopefully we see what we want to see and most want Heavenly Peace and to see our Loved ones, some seem to crave the hellfire and damnation route, not sure why, but I'm enjoying the idea that I'll fly out and wave goodbye to this one to just do it again another time, maybe.

As for this thread, it is about a Spiritual experience and I have one more.. I watched a woman walk across a very frosty golf course 20 years ago and vanish just over half way across the fairway. She was wearing shorts which was really wrong for that morning, she stopped when she saw me, waved like she was chastising me and was gone. After a few seconds I was starting going to go have a closer look and at that moment a Momma grizzly bear and her 2 cubs came around the bend in the course about 200 yards away. If she had not stopped me I would have come across the bears as the came out of the bush.
Devine intervention is all I got from that.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

I wonder why no nde has predicted when Jesus is coming back, yet you have all these lame self-proclaimed prophets who predict it and are always wrong, this has happened since Paul got his epileptic fit on the road to Damascus.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

capleton wrote:I wonder why no nde has predicted when Jesus is coming back, yet you have all these lame self-proclaimed prophets who predict it and are always wrong, this has happened since Paul got his epileptic fit on the road to Damascus.

Maybe Jesus is here, and has returned as the lion not the lamb.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”