Recycling-Missed Days

Nature_Lover1

Recycling-Missed Days

Post by Nature_Lover1 »

Our recycling pickup was missed last Thursday due to a driver quitting. When I called the local office, they advised to leave everything curbside, that a driver would be around to pick up on Monday. This didn't happen. Called again, to be told to continue to leave it out and someone would be by this week. This is really lackluster service and nothing is to be found on their website or any other place. Meanwhile, the whole neighborhood has their goods outside for six days already! Thankfully it's not windy. What can we do about this?
tabubil
Fledgling

Re: Recycling-Missed Days

Post by tabubil »

We live in East Hill in Vernon and our recycle has not being picked up since Dec 24 and they tell us the same thing you should see the mess at some houses and the boxes are frozen in the banks. The RDNO must wake up and do something about the problems of both recycle and regular pick up being missed.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have formed a friendship with my local driver, I climbed up to the cab a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed with how much electronics and cameras are in these trucks. I my area some of these things have not been hooked up yet, so I can't say that they haven't been in Vernon.

He was explaining to me that the biggest complaint they get is "missed pick-ups", ergo the addition of all these added electronics.

The ones that complain the most are the ones that have not got their bins to the curb in time for pick-up. The new electronics and cameras will prove that the complaint is unfounded. They will be substantiated via GPS and address verification.

Once they are all up and running, I would like to know if there is any change to the stats.
Bring back the LIKE button.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

They haven't picked ours up on Middleton for 5 weeks. E-mailed NORD, Coldstream and the MLA. All of them said it's a provincial matter as it's no longer municipal taxes that pay for it.
I said well highway maintenance I provincial and councils and MLA are all on the news about it. I guess tons of recycling going into landfill isn't an issue. They will never catch up as now there is 6 weeks of recycling to collect.
Recycle BC finally got back to me. This is what they said.

Thank you for contacting Recycle BC.

We apologize for the recent service issues in the North Okanagan area. Over the past few weeks, our collector, Emterra Environmental has experienced some operational issues with their trucks and also due to the severe weather conditions they have missed large service areas recently.

Their truck issues have now been fixed and they are working with some additional crews. If you provide your full address, I can do my best and get your home on the missed collections list to try to retrieve the materials as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Big deal. Have you not seen the roads? It will get picked up eventually.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

What can one do ?

:cuss: happens, keep the mess cleaned up, plan for the next scheduled p/u day
Last edited by ferri on Jan 26th, 2020, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Our recycling got missed again this week. For many weeks the pickup was in the afternoon. Suddenly it changed to the early....and I mean early....... morning. Had mine out at 7:30 am. Found out later that day from the neightbours that the truck breezed through the neighbourhood between 6:30 and 7:00 am.

By doing the pickup run before many people get their stuff out to the curb, they can cover much more of the city. It's just smart business. My recycling? Stuffed it into a black garbage bag and it's gone to the dump.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

bob vernon wrote:Our recycling got missed again this week. For many weeks the pickup was in the afternoon. Suddenly it changed to the early....and I mean early....... morning. Had mine out at 7:30 am. Found out later that day from the neightbours that the truck breezed through the neighbourhood between 6:30 and 7:00 am.

By doing the pickup run before many people get their stuff out to the curb, they can cover much more of the city. It's just smart business. My recycling? Stuffed it into a black garbage bag and it's gone to the dump.

Suppose to have your recycling at the curb by 7:00 am
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Mine was finally picked up after 6 weeks. The problem wasn't with them not picking it up, it was the no communication when they were coming. People just left it out there for weeks because they said they might be coming. So recycling was strewn all over the neighborhood, some had piles of snow on it.

The roads were bad excuse doesn't fly as the garbage was collected no problem.
In terms of early pick up just put it out the night before. It might get rained on but thats not your problem.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jasond_71 wrote:It might get rained on but thats not your problem.
Wet cardboard is not recyclable so that would be the homeowner's problem.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

I use a cardboard box as a container for all the other cardboard I cut up. When it's put out on recycling day and it's raining or snowing and gets wet, the recycling guy has no problem picking it up. Neighbors do the same and it gets picked up.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The fact still remains you've been requested not to include wet cardboard or wet paper.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fancy, where did you get/find that info? I don't have a blue recycling bin and haven't had an issue with recycling taking cardboard if it gets rained on while waiting for pickup.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Fancy wrote:
bob vernon wrote:Our recycling got missed again this week. For many weeks the pickup was in the afternoon. Suddenly it changed to the early....and I mean early....... morning. Had mine out at 7:30 am. Found out later that day from the neightbours that the truck breezed through the neighbourhood between 6:30 and 7:00 am.

Suppose to have your recycling at the curb by 7:00 am

And they came breezing through the neighbourhood between 6:30 and 7:00. And the same thing regularly happens with the garbage pickup. The city hall sometimes hires a summer student to do around and tell us not to put our garbage out early. And the contractor starts early.

Return to “North Okanagan”