Gun Control

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Gun Control

Post by Sparki55 »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 9:42 pm These "illegal gang guns" you guys speak of are simply guns stolen during home or store break-ins and whatnot.

Or do you think these "illegal guns" just appear out of nowhere?

The more guns in homes, the more guns get stolen, the more "illegal guns."

This isn't rocket science.

But don't worry. Your chance of getting shot in Canada is really, really low. Gang members don't want to shoot you.

If your spouse had a gun, he or she might, though.
You don't understand the issue at all.

Most guns used in crimes are illegal to own in Canada (even with a PAL). Most guns used in crimes are smuggled into Canada.

Look up the topic first, you couldn't be more wrong.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Sparki55 wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 9:59 pm You don't understand the issue at all.
...and that's the crux of the issue when trying to discuss with the anti-gun snowflakes. They think that making things illegal will stop criminals. They lack the grey matter to even recognize their own cognitive dissonance.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

36Drew wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 1:28 am
...and that's the crux of the issue when trying to discuss with the anti-gun snowflakes. They think that making things illegal will stop criminals. They lack the grey matter to even recognize their own cognitive dissonance.
:up: :up:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 9:42 pm These "illegal gang guns" you guys speak of are simply guns stolen during home or store break-ins and whatnot.

Or do you think these "illegal guns" just appear out of nowhere?

The more guns in homes, the more guns get stolen, the more "illegal guns."

This isn't rocket science.

But don't worry. Your chance of getting shot in Canada is really, really low. Gang members don't want to shoot you.

If your spouse had a gun, he or she might, though.

So wrong.

But that's the Trudeau narrative, the one that McKenna spilled when she was boozed up: "Tell a lie, keep repeating it louder and louder, and eventually people totally believe you."

Run for the border: Guns smuggled from U.S. land on Toronto’s streets

Summary
While getting a gun legally can take months, finding a gun on the streets can take mere hours
In 2020, approximately 85 per cent of all handguns seized by Toronto police were tracked back to the U.S.
5 of the top source states for crime guns into Ontario intersect Interstate 75 - route many Canadians take to Florida

snip

By and large, the guns found on the streets aren’t stolen or purchased from stores or even from legal gun owners, but rather smuggled in over the border.

“They’re being smuggled in because people that want to possess them do not register firearms. They are criminal, the criminal entity of the city, mainly gangs, but there are illegal firearms that are much easier to acquire from the United States,” explains Insp. Joe Matthews, who heads up Toronto police’s guns and gangs unit.

In 2020, approximately 85 per cent of all handguns seized by Toronto police were traced back to the U.S.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/04/23/ ... r-toronto/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

That's a lot of words for stamping your feet and proclaiming that you're right dammit and anyone who isn't convinced by your argument is dumb. It's typical of people who are on the losing side of an argument to dismiss their opposition with name-calling and claiming that they're incapable of understanding, when really they just disagree with you.

I understand the issue. I grew up with guns in the house. I took a gun handling course in a public school when I was 13. I get that shooting is fun, hunting is fun and productive. I totally reject the idea that anyone in Canada needs a gun for self defence (and truly, our laws have always reflected that), and furthermore think that's a dangerous path to go down. I don't think banning all guns is necessary, nor do I think doing so would eliminate gun crime, but I think that some firearms lift right out and plenty of other alternatives are available. The go-to argument that the criminals who really want guns will always be able to access them has a grain of truth, but the thing that the pro-gun crowd can never overcome is the simple, common sense fact that fewer guns = less gun violence. Less gun ownership and rigorous gun acquisition requirements mean fewer accidental shootings, handling accidents and fewer irresponsible people who have no business owning guns, owning guns. Ironically, one of the things that works against the pro-gun lobby in this country, imo, is the success of the gun industry in the USA and the frightening example of what unfettered gun ownership looks like. That many of the crime-related guns come to this country from the states only reinforces the argument that their gun policies are an extreme example of messed-up and we're best not to move in that direction at all. That guns are illegally imported isn't a gun control issue, it's a border control issue.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Catri wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 2:41 pm ... fewer guns = less gun violence...
Tell that to the Swiss. ...its a cultural issue.

We are Canadians.
That did mean something once-upon-a-time.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

sobrohusfat wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm
Tell that to the Swiss. ...its a cultural issue.

We are Canadians.
That did mean something once-upon-a-time.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Catri wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 2:41 pm

That's a lot of words for stamping your feet and proclaiming that you're right dammit and anyone who isn't convinced by your argument is dumb. It's typical of people who are on the losing side of an argument to dismiss their opposition with name-calling and claiming that they're incapable of understanding, when really they just disagree with you.

I understand the issue. I grew up with guns in the house. I took a gun handling course in a public school when I was 13. I get that shooting is fun, hunting is fun and productive. I totally reject the idea that anyone in Canada needs a gun for self defence (and truly, our laws have always reflected that), and furthermore think that's a dangerous path to go down. I don't think banning all guns is necessary, nor do I think doing so would eliminate gun crime, but I think that some firearms lift right out and plenty of other alternatives are available. The go-to argument that the criminals who really want guns will always be able to access them has a grain of truth, but the thing that the pro-gun crowd can never overcome is the simple, common sense fact that fewer guns = less gun violence. Less gun ownership and rigorous gun acquisition requirements mean fewer accidental shootings, handling accidents and fewer irresponsible people who have no business owning guns, owning guns. Ironically, one of the things that works against the pro-gun lobby in this country, imo, is the success of the gun industry in the USA and the frightening example of what unfettered gun ownership looks like. That many of the crime-related guns come to this country from the states only reinforces the argument that their gun policies are an extreme example of messed-up and we're best not to move in that direction at all. That guns are illegally imported isn't a gun control issue, it's a border control issue.
The "pro gun lobby" is not asking for the "unfettered gun ownership". Our regulations (you should read and understand them) are very restrictive already and all we firearms owners want is to leave the regs as they are. We are not the problem.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

mikest2 wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm The "pro gun lobby" is not asking for the "unfettered gun ownership". Our regulations (you should read and understand them) are very restrictive already and all we firearms owners want is to leave the regs as they are. We are not the problem.
With "these people" it's almost like the people who own Gus are asking for there to be no laws. It's the opposite, we're asking for no more ridiculous laws to be thunk up.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Sparki55 wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 6:40 pm
mikest2 wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm The "pro gun lobby" is not asking for the "unfettered gun ownership". Our regulations (you should read and understand them) are very restrictive already and all we firearms owners want is to leave the regs as they are. We are not the problem.
With "these people" it's almost like the people who own Gus are asking for there to be no laws. It's the opposite, we're asking for no more ridiculous laws to be thunk up.
Yup, the problem is criminal use of firearms, and it's hard to believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that more government regulation is going to be respected by criminals. They don't respect our laws now, do you really think they are going to change their mind tomorrow as the government lowers the mandatory sentences for crimes involving firearms. The Libs want that criminal vote !
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Catri wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Let's throw a little logic in here for a moment. The leading cause of death in Canada is impaired driving. Problem solved if we take away everyone's car.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Why we have strict gun control in Canada and the civilized world and always will.

The mother didn't even have the chance to return fire.

All posts 100% moderator approved!
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 6:57 pm Why we have strict gun control in Canada and the civilized world and always will.

The mother didn't even have the chance to return fire.

Yup. can't happen here if you abide by our regs, you should read up on those regs that we legal, law abiding firearms owners follow. It helps in presenting an intelligent argument.
Just a FYI, The US is a different country with way different laws. Keep grasping those straws though, it is amusing.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

mikest2 wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 7:04 pm Yup. can't happen here if you abide by our regs, you should read up on those regs that we legal, law abiding firearms owners follow. It helps in presenting an intelligent argument.
Just a FYI, The US is a different country with way different laws. Keep grasping those straws though, it is amusing.
crookedmember wasn't grasping at straws but appeared to imply Canada has the strict gun controls - US doesn't and US pays the price.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Fancy wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 7:50 pm
mikest2 wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 7:04 pm Yup. can't happen here if you abide by our regs, you should read up on those regs that we legal, law abiding firearms owners follow. It helps in presenting an intelligent argument.
crookedmember wasn't grasping at straws but appeared to imply Canada has the strict gun controls - US doesn't and US pays the price.
Guess I'm getting used to sarcasm, my apologies crookedmember !

Return to “Canada”