Snowbirds/Snowbird crash

lensbaby
Board Meister

Re: Snowbirds/Snowbird crash

Post by lensbaby »

W105 wrote:here's the link..yes sadly the female pilot passed away..

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/w ... 1.24136744

A witness told KTW a second person, a female, appeared to have succumbed to her injuries.

Hings and her daughter rushed to the backyard of the home and found a person who appeared to be deceased.

“I saw a deceased female with catastrophic injuries,” Hings said. “It looked like she hit a tree. It’s insane. It’s not supposed to happen. This [the Snowbirds tour] is supposed to be a good thing and she died.”

A terrible Tragedy :(
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Perhaps some Canadian officials can check out the boneyard in Tucson Arizona and find 9 old US airforce Jets that were retired only a few years ago that would be more modern than these T-33's. F4 Phantoms maybe? Or some A6 Intruders? F14 Tomcats? Time to upgrade, to at least a dual-engine plane for the Snowbirds....
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Aviation analyst on CTV news: 3rd video on the right hand side - Seems to be an engine failure

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/snowbirds-plane-crashes-after-taking-off-in-kamloops-b-c-1.4943375
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

madadam wrote:Watching CBC and they had an aviation expert who has worked on the planes watching the video and he said it looks like the plane had engine failure, when that happens they usually barrel roll and the pilot has no control at all.

Not quite. They don't barrel roll because of the engine failure, the aircraft may barrel roll if it enters an uncontrollable stall after an engine failure on takeoff. The pilot would have no control due to the stall and the barrel roll is a consequence of it. Vastly different.

As for the female, I don't believe the current group has a female pilot, but there are female crew.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/sno ... mbers.page
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

JagXKR wrote:Not quite. They don't barrel roll because of the engine failure

Especially on a single engine.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

In the video where the planes are almost over the guy taking the videos, there sounds like a slight pop at the nine second mark. Engine issues? Hit a bird?
So sad to hear about the pilot.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Perhaps some Canadian officials can check out the boneyard in Tucson Arizona and find 9 old US airforce Jets that were retired only a few years ago that would be more modern than these T-33's. F4 Phantoms maybe? Or some A6 Intruders? F14 Tomcats? Time to upgrade, to at least a dual-engine plane for the Snowbirds....

While I agree that the single engine Tutor Snowbird planes should be retired, they are NOT T-33's! Good grief; those were from 1948 era; these are CT-114's, built in the 60's. Maybe fact check before posting next time.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Although I do enjoy watching air displays, there have been so many deaths resulting from that particular form of entertainment that I too wonder if it’s time to retire such shows. Particularly from our armed forces. Because, as a mother, I know I wouldn't want MY child to suffer such an unnecessary death.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My condolences to Family (both) and Friends. Both referring to Snowbird Family & biological.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

pentona wrote:
While I agree that the single engine Tutor Snowbird planes should be retired, they are NOT T-33's! Good grief; those were from 1948 era; these are CT-114's, built in the 60's. Maybe fact check before posting next time.

I apologize for getting the plane wrong. I realize that emotions are running a bit high but this level.of debaggery was unnecessary.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Something that was cheer us up brought us down:(
My heart goes out the the family of the deceased.. I hope death was immediate and the other person recovers.
What a total waste of Life.
This hits me way more than I expected
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Merry wrote:Although I do enjoy watching air displays, there have been so many deaths resulting from that particular form of entertainment that I too wonder if it’s time to retire such shows. Particularly from our armed forces. Because, as a mother, I know I wouldn't want MY child to suffer such an unnecessary death.

Or to be sitting home in your house. Then. Ka frickin BOOM.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Merry wrote:Although I do enjoy watching air displays, there have been so many deaths resulting from that particular form of entertainment that I too wonder if it’s time to retire such shows. Particularly from our armed forces. Because, as a mother, I know I wouldn't want MY child to suffer such an unnecessary death.

The Snowbirds have had 9 deaths since forming in 1978. If you include all the other fatalities in other air show incidents, it would be less then an average year of fatalities in the civil air sector.

Thinking like this and “throwing in the towel” because of rare tragic events is what makes this world such a dismal and negative place.

Coonhound wrote:Or to be sitting home in your house. Then. Ka frickin BOOM.

Don’t live close to an airport if you’re that paranoid. More 172s have crashed into homes than any aerobatic team ever will.
Last edited by OKkayak on May 17th, 2020, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Coonhound wrote:

Or to be sitting home in your house. Then. Ka frickin BOOM.

May be it's time to stop sitting in your house. With so many deaths happening inside the house, I know I wouldn't want my kid to go through this.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Coonhound wrote:This is just an expensive and potentially deadly PR machine for the government. Maybe it is time to end the Snowbirds program.

Would you like the airports closed too? I wondered how long it would be before someone trotted that one out.
Maybe ban cars too while we are overhauling?

Return to “Kamloops”