Family loses $12k through TikTok

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Family loses $12k through TikTok

Post by Even Steven »

If they spent on this social things before in the past, it wouldn't be flagged as fraudulent. It's not the amount that flags it, its location or known websites/companies.

They flag frauds because there's a risk of them losing money. If you just spend a lot on something they don't care - they are in business of lending lots of money to people who spend.

Besides, I don't know how it works on Apple, but on Android you have to confirm all purchases you make. If the kid confirmed all purchases as she was making them as the cardholder by either providing password or confirming phone pass code, none of the purchases can be flagged as suspicious.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Queen K wrote:Hmmm, imagine if Castanet hit on this idea. QK pays Castanet to ensure her posts gets "likes". :popcorn:
I would throw a fit when I reached $12,000 and had no idea!

LOL, I've "liked" 10386 posts, I'm gonna go back and charge y'all a buck a like :biggrin:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OKkayak wrote:
Queen K wrote:Hmmm, imagine if Castanet hit on this idea. QK pays Castanet to ensure her posts gets "likes". :popcorn:
I would throw a fit when I reached $12,000 and had no idea!

LOL, I've "liked" 10386 posts, I'm gonna go back and charge y'all a buck a like :biggrin:

But you have "liked" 14,981 therefore, you owe $4,595.

Payment details will be sent to you via PM, failure to pay with I-Tunes cards within 24 hours will have a very negative affect on your credit rating.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This is huge teachable moment... lesson to be learned, don’t leave a CC within access of irresponsible children.
Hey kids you just spent your birthday & christmas gift money for next “x” years, I hope you enjoyed whatever you received.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:This is huge teachable moment... lesson to be learned, don’t leave a CC within access of irresponsible children.
Hey kids you just spent your birthday & christmas gift money for next “x” years, I hope you enjoyed whatever you received.

Agreed, also remove all electronic devices, TV, cel phone, computer, etc until 100% + interest @19.99%, has been repaid in full.

That is a very good lesson to teach.

Most parents would just "cave in" after 1 week.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

12k is a lot of money for a site like that, its not Amazon.

I understand the parents are ultimately responsible for that card and their stupity, but I still think the company could of flag it and call or require a call to unlock.
Years ago I've had a replacement card hijacked and there was a spending spree, I got a call asking if it were me, it wasn't.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

alanjh595 wrote:But you have "liked" 14,981 therefore, you owe $4,595.

Payment details will be sent to you via PM, failure to pay with I-Tunes cards within 24 hours will have a very negative affect on your credit rating.

So sue me [icon_lol2.gif]
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Why would anyone have a CC with that high of a limit is beyond me in the first place.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I rather have line of credits with better rates. Never know , freak situations happen where you need cash NOW, furnaces konk out, basement leaks, foundation issues.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

ckil wrote:Why would anyone have a CC with that high of a limit is beyond me in the first place.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial- ... core-dings
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ckil wrote:Why would anyone have a CC with that high of a limit is beyond me in the first place.

As long as the holder of the card makes at least the minimum payment, credit card company will boost the limit up without the holder requesting it.

btw CC companies love minimum payment users.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Lol probably because they're all growed up little fella, just because you have a high limit doesnt mean you have to max it out. I have a business card with a much higher limit than that
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have $100,000 in instant, available credit, (if I should ever need it). I can leave tonight for a 1 month stint in Buenos Aires and not even have a second thought about how I am going to pay the bill when I get home.
I could also go down to the Chev dealership and buy a 2021 Vette, and wouldn't even have to ask the bank for their approval.

Like my mortgage, I owe nothing on any of them. I live rent and mortgage free, and just have to pay for gas, light, and strata.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well I actually feel very sorry for the young girl...can't imagine being 12 yrs old and the most important thing in her life was to get "likes"..it was so important that she didn't even care how much money it would cost her parents..

as for the parents, I can certainly understand them trying to get the charges dismissed, def worth a shot..it is weird that that much in charges wasn't flagged..$12K in one mth is huge amount...

I for one am so glad that those days of controlling a tween/teenager's use of their phone and internet time are over for us !! funny, now that my son is older and on his own he barely likes even answering his phone anymore probably because now it's work..lol
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Most credit card companies now have sophisticated algorithms that catch suspicious activity, meaning you no longer have to call when traveling.

Basically (and I’m really simplifying this), out of country purchases for things you’d normally buy on a trip won’t trigger a hold or phone call. If there are also airline, hotel, taxi, and normal travel charges the system is smart enough to know you’re traveling. Again, this is oversimplified as the systems are quite complicated, using some powerful algorithms and A.I.

However, purchases for things like TVs, electronics, gift cards, online purchases, etc... (items and amounts scammers buy) may trigger the system since you wouldn’t normally buy these things while out of country.

Return to “Social Concerns”