Income Tax

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Income Tax

Post by Merry »

I filed my Income Tax yesterday using Netfile. Then, today, I received a tax slip that I’d forgotten about.

After reading the CRA website I’ve determined I have to wait until I receive my Notice of Assessment, and can then use Refile to amend my return using the same electronic software that I originally filed with.

Problem is, when I checked the software I can’t find instructions on how to Refile.

Has anyone done this and, if so , can you provide advice as to how to do it?

The software I used was Genutax
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Income Tax

Post by oneh2obabe »

Wait until you get your assessment notice then file a form T1-ADJ (“T1 Adjustment Request”). All you'll have to do is correct the line in question using the amount shown on your assessment and the amended total.

You can file through CRA ... https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... 1-adj.html

You can submit your requests for changes electronically, using Change My Return in My Account or ReFILE.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... iders.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

oneh2obabe wrote:Wait until you get your assessment notice then file a form T1-ADJ (“T1 Adjustment Request”). All you'll have to do is correct the line in question using the amount shown on your assessment and the amended total.

You can file through CRA ... https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... 1-adj.html

You can submit your requests for changes electronically, using Change My Return in My Account or ReFILE.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... iders.html
Yes, I read the part about using the software I originally filed with (Refile).
ReFILE is an online service that lets individuals and EFILE service providers send online adjustments for income tax and benefit returns with certified NETFILE software
What I can’t figure out, is HOW I actually DO that?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I believe you can save the slip and add it to next years taxes.....I’m sure my accountant has done that for me.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I may end up having to download the form oneh2obabe mentioned (T1-ADJ) and file the the amendment by mail. But as that will take a lot longer, and be a lot more hassle, I’d much prefer to file the amendment electronically, using the same software I originally filed with. BUT I CAN’T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

Has anyone ever done REFILE using the same tax software they originally filed with?

According to what I’ve already found out, there’s a chance Revenue Canada will make the adjustment for me (hence the reason for waiting until I receive my notice of assessment) but, if they don’t, then I’ll have to do the amendment myself.

I can’t leave it until next year, because it was a T5 slip that arrived late, and the income must be reported on my 2020 taxes.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote:I may end up having to download the form oneh2obabe mentioned (T1-ADJ) and file the the amendment by mail. But as that will take a lot longer, and be a lot more hassle, I’d much prefer to file the amendment electronically, using the same software I originally filed with. BUT I CAN’T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

Has anyone ever done REFILE using the same tax software they originally filed with?

According to what I’ve already found out, there’s a chance Revenue Canada will make the adjustment for me (hence the reason for waiting until I receive my notice of assessment) but, if they don’t, then I’ll have to do the amendment myself.

I can’t leave it until next year, because it was a T5 slip that arrived late, and the income must be reported on my 2020 taxes.
Wish I could help you Merry but I've only done the form (T1-Adj) and mail in option. Never used software in your situation.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

You can file the T1 ADJ form through your CRA My Account. Downloaded and went through the Genutax help file and couldn't find any info on Refile - you may want to send an email to their support desk asking where to find it in the program.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Merry wrote:I can’t leave it until next year, because it was a T5 slip that arrived late, and the income must be reported on my 2020 taxes.
You can file a T1 ADJ form for the previous 10 years so wait until you get your assessment. I've found that if there is a missing form, CRA will notify you when you've been reassessed and let you know how much you owe or if you're getting a further refund.

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

oneh2obabe wrote:You can file the T1 ADJ form through your CRA My Account. Downloaded and went through the Genutax help file and couldn't find any info on Refile - you may want to send an email to their support desk asking where to find it in the program.
Thanks for trying. At least you reinforced my position, which is that that their help file does not address this particular issue.

I’ve sent them an email, and will let you know what they reply.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

vegas1500 wrote:I believe you can save the slip and add it to next years taxes.....I’m sure my accountant has done that for me.
Not allowed to do that, unfortunately. Your accountant likely amended existing year's taxes.

I've seen amendments done with Turbotax software before, if that helps?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Here’s the response I got from Genutax
To change your tax return, you can use the Canada Revenue Agency's ReFILE service.

You must make sure that your tax return has already been assessed by the Canada Revenue Agency before you can use ReFILE. To determine whether or not your 2020 tax return has been assessed, you can use the Express NOA service. Instructions on using this service appear in the GenuTax interview, immediately after the section on NETFILE.

To use ReFILE, after going to the relevant sections of the interview, and making your corrections, go to the end of the interview, by clicking "Jump to Section", and selecting "Filing the Tax Return".

Make sure you have answered "Yes" to this question:

NETFILE

Would you like to use NETFILE to send your 2020 tax return over the Internet?

For 2020 tax returns, the Canada Revenue Agency's NETFILE transmission service is open from February 22, 2021, to January 21, 2022.

Note: You should also answer "Yes" to this question if you want to use the Canada Revenue Agency's ReFILE service to submit corrections or changes to your 2020 tax return.

Then, go forward a few steps, and answer "ReFILE" to this question:

NETFILE or ReFILE?

Which electronic filing service are you using for your tax return for 2020?

If you have not yet filed your 2020 tax return, you should select NETFILE.

If you have already filed your 2020 tax return, and you have since made corrections or changes to your tax return, select ReFILE.

Then click "Next" and confirm the list of changes you are making to your return, and then click "Next" and click the "Use ReFILE" button that will appear.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Last year my last T-Slip was provided by TD on March 26th. I generally wait until at least April 5th before filing my taxes.
Consider waiting.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

typhoon44 wrote:Last year my last T-Slip was provided by TD on March 26th. I generally wait until at least April 5th before filing my taxes.
Consider waiting.
I waited two weeks after receiving what I THOUGHT was my last tax slip before filing my return.

The slip that arrived late came from the same bank that I’d already received one slip from. And I mistakenly thought that all the interest I’d earned in that one bank was on the one slip.

I hate doing my taxes, and prefer to get them done ASAP, rather than having the upcoming chore “hanging over my head”.

For me, the lesson learned in all this, is to be more careful in future about making sure I’ve received ALL my tax slips prior to filing. But, once I’ve determined I have all the slips, I’ll never leave it until the last minute because I hate knowing I still have to get the job done. It’s like a weight off my shoulders once I’ve finished the job and know I can forget about it for another year.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

If you have a CRA My Account all tax slips are available for printing. I do taxes for a senior up the road and always check her account as an authorized rep - all are there for me to print including the one from her bank. She usually receives that slip in the mail a couple of weeks later.

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

oneh2obabe wrote:If you have a CRA My Account all tax slips are available for printing. I do taxes for a senior up the road and always check her account as an authorized rep - all are there for me to print including the one from her bank. She usually receives that slip in the mail a couple of weeks later.
Thanks for that information. I knew I could find my CPP and OAS slips there, but didn’t know all the others were there too.

Although it’s a bit of a moot point right now for many folks, being as how they’ve been temporarily locked out of their CRA accounts.

Return to “Canada”