$50K to close 2900 Block

Speak_to_the_truth_of_it

$50K to close 2900 Block

Post by Speak_to_the_truth_of_it »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/33 ... 000#337629

I appreciate the initiative to change the optics of downtown Vernon but why does it need to cost the City of Vernon (ultimately the tax payers) $50k when the tasks and functions of the Downtown Vernon Association have been scaled back substantially (due to COVID)? Do they not have money set aside from the cancellation of big functions such as Sunshine Festival/Christmas Light Up etc. for the last few years? Where have those funds gone because I certainly do not see improvements or an increase of foot traffic in the downtown area.

This should be fully covered by the DVA! We already pay them to a healthy annual allocation to heighten the traffic through the City's core and this should not fall on the City of Vernon.

I would like an explanation as to where the funds have been going? I know there has been no shortage of salary increases!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: $50K to close 2900 Block

Post by Glacier »

How does it cost anything more than $500? They put up barriers on each end of the block with "road closed" signs on them. Done. Are they gold plated signs?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Glacier wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 1:23 pm How does it cost anything more than $500? They put up barriers on each end of the block with "road closed" signs on them. Done. Are they gold plated signs?
From the article:
The city is expected to cover other costs for the nine-and-a-half-week closure.

The city would cover things such as, relocating planters, new temporary signage, traffic signal operation changes, flexible bollards, road surface repairs, wheelchair ramps, and relocating the community bike rack.

The city would also cover increased garbage collection, litter control, cleaning and emptying of portable washrooms and a contingency for vandalism/damage.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My wife went there yesterday, and said it was dead. This was right around noon. Time will tell if this will be a success.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Glacier wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 1:23 pm How does it cost anything more than $500? They put up barriers on each end of the block with "road closed" signs on them. Done. Are they gold plated signs?
Have you ever stood back and watched your local "public Works" get down to it??? It is slow and costly!!

They should change the name using public works is a oxymoron. :135:
Last edited by Ken7 on Jul 20th, 2021, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

everything the city of vernon does costs more than it needs to be ;; unions are the big cause and remember these deals (citys) are all run by weak woke liberals ;; small example the city dug up a small water shut off valve in front of my house and filled it in and left it unpaved (about 2ftX4Ft) then just down the road they installed a water and sewer connection and again unpaved
they came by come day by day with enough men and equipment and sub contractors to repave the road to kelowna ;; fixed the cement curb and paved the water connection area ;; about 6 hours spent there in about 10 ft cement curb and about a 4ft x8 ft repave ;; no one looks at the small spot 100 ft down the road by my place nope 3 weeks later and now get this they bring in a full size excavator on a flat deck to dig out 6 inches of 3/4 crush fill in the 2x4 area that a single man could dig out by hand in 45 minutes if he took his time then they bring in another truck and a crew of 3-4 people and a mini asphalt mix truck and another truck to pave in this 2X4 spot ;; seriously this $300$ repave I kid u not done the way the city did it cost like$3000
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

maybe it's high time some right thinking citizens ran for office and straightened out these leftist wimps leading our community and restored a sense of sanity to Vernon we've had enough of this nonsense and we need to put an end to the waste of taxpayers hard earned dollars that get wasted on pie in the sky schemes and then we have nothing to show for it they'll have to spend another $50,000 to take it all apart in the fall.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

bob vernon wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 1:07 pm maybe it's high time some right thinking citizens ran for office and straightened out these leftist wimps leading our community and restored a sense of sanity to Vernon we've had enough of this nonsense and we need to put an end to the waste of taxpayers hard earned dollars that get wasted on pie in the sky schemes and then we have nothing to show for it they'll have to spend another $50,000 to take it all apart in the fall.
Whats stopping you from running?

Return to “North Okanagan”