Crane collapse downtown

two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by two_shoes1mit »

elkrub wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 2:33 pm I don’t see any problem with people taking videos or pictures of work area whether it be a construction worker on a house or machinist in a machine shop or an employee at a Pilates studio taking pictures of the equipment and how to use it!
Don’t try and tell me there Isn’t a single pilot out there that took a picture of there cockpit…there’s probably many get used to it that’s reality now!!
Has absolutely nothing to do with the Tragic day on the crane.
YOU are so very, very wrong.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

two_shoes1mit wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 3:02 pm YOU are so very, very wrong.
Yup. Amazes me that people can't grasp this concept.

Let's recap: We know that maintaining balance of the crane during the dismantling process is critical to safe process. We know the crane operator is the one responsible for maintaining that balance. Say it with me folks: "You can't concentrate on balancing the crane and filming the people below you at the same time".
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 3:31 pm Yup. Amazes me that people can't grasp this concept.

Let's recap: We know that maintaining balance of the crane during the dismantling process is critical to safe process. We know the crane operator is the one responsible for maintaining that balance. Say it with me folks: "You can't concentrate on balancing the crane and filming the people below you at the same time".
Exactly.
For the people who disagree, when you are returning from your Mexican all inclusive holiday in January wearing your floral print shorts and straw hat with a Corona bandana, how would you feel if your pilot who was hand flying an approach let go of the yoke and thrust levers to film the approach?
Same level of irresponsibility, lack of focus, lack of professionalism, lack of safety.

When people film for social media reasons and post to social media it is to elicit a reaction. A reaction is only worthy if you see it.
How do you see a reaction? You stop whatever it was that you were doing and look at your device. Not saying the crane people did that as I wasn't there, but it is what people typically do when posting to social media.
elkrub

Post by elkrub »

The crane operator may have been on his lunch break when he was taking the pictures, nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.Too many people jump to conclusions and have NO idea of what happened that day to cause the collapse.
If they find out the operator took his hands off the "working controls under load" to video whatever, than yes he IS in the wrong.
Don't Assume People!

Best to wait until the Investigation is complete.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

elkrub wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 4:12 pm The crane operator may have been on his lunch break when he was taking the pictures, nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.Too many people jump to conclusions and have NO idea of what happened that day to cause the collapse.
If they find out the operator took his hands off the "working controls under load" to video whatever, than yes he IS in the wrong.
Don't Assume People!

Who's assuming when at least one video clearly shows the trolley moving? If it's moving obviously the operator is in the cabin.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Can it be said that there is irrefutable evidence that the pictures were taken by the hands of the operator?

Ergo, perhaps these are screen captures from a go-pro mounted on his head, hardhat, or attached with a suction cup to the side glass, or that there wasn't a second person in that cab?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Screen captures are still, not videos showing motion.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

elkrub wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 4:12 pm The crane operator may have been on his lunch break when he was taking the pictures, nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.Too many people jump to conclusions and have NO idea of what happened that day to cause the collapse.
Don't Assume People!

The video clearly shows the crane section being pulled out while filming - that isnt a lunch break at all
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

:up:
elkrub wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 2:33 pm Don’t try and tell me there Isn’t a single pilot out there that took a picture of there cockpit…there’s probably many get used to it that’s reality now!!
Has absolutely nothing to do with the Tragic day on the crane.
You're wrong.

Show me a pilot who is dumb enough to film video on a phone while landing or taking off. You will never find it. This is the most dangerous part of flying.

Once again pictures on lunch break is one thing but filming a video while disassembly of the crane is criminal neglect. Nobody is blaming the guy for pictures.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully everything comes out in the 2 ongoing investigations by WorkBC and other by RCMP.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Good to see the GoFund me page for the innocent bystander raise over $140,000. I know the family, it's a huge tragedy for them.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 4:40 pm Hopefully everything comes out in the 2 ongoing investigations by WorkBC and other by RCMP.
I'm going to wait for that before I "pontificate" .....

I just hope the recommendations are made public but not the "blame" .

Just like Tolko log boom tug accident . Families don't need that grief .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
elkrub

Post by elkrub »

There’s lots of pictures of Airplane cockpits.
Also video of landing & taking off.
Google is your friend…”cockpit video landing”
So ..like I said before
Get Used To It!!
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

elkrub wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 5:08 pm There’s lots of pictures of Airplane cockpits.
So ..like I said before
Get Used To It!!
You are correct.
But look closer and/or more objectively and you will notice the PF (pilot flying) has their hands on the controls.
You will also notice either a 3rd party filming or a camera that is mounted.
Show me a video of PF and filming at the same time.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

elkrub wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 5:08 pm There’s lots of pictures of Airplane cockpits.
So ..like I said before
Get Used To It!!
Get used to what? Distracted crane operators? You may be willing to accept that but myself and the safety industry aren't.

Return to “Central Okanagan”