The day I realized there is no god.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

The day I realized there is no god.

Post by I Think »

Cheddar Gorge is near my home town in England, located in the Mendip Hills, I was just reminded of Mendip by Weather Woman and remembered the day.
It was in 1952 or '53, I used to hitch hike home from school rather that wait an hour for the bus, and was walking into the village of Mendip a beautiful small village with thatched roof cottages, dotted on the sides of the valley, on a perfect sunny spring Friday afternoon, we had had bible study in the last period, and I was thinking about it as I walked. I realized that there was no evidence to substantiate the existence of a god or other supernatural being, now almost 70 years on, still have not found or been shown any evidence to change my understanding.
We're lost but we're making good time.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by 1nick »

Sounds idyllic.
I didn’t have an awakening. I just came to the conclusion, in my early teens, that’s there’s no way any person could possibly know there is a god. Let alone prove it. And that’s not even getting into the god of Abraham mumbo jumbo.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I remember being quite young. Maybe 10? Walking home along side a friend from the bus stop asking him if he wanted to come over on Sunday cause I wanted to go biking in the trials behind my house. He said that he couldn't, he had to go to church.

I paused for a sec then asked something like, "why?". He said cause he has to. I thought to myself that I didn't like this whole church business cause it was interfering with my biking plans.

In the coming years, I'd ask that friend what they do in Church and why he had to go. He could really only say that they had fun and had to learn about Jesus, which I distinctly remember wondering why he was learning about something I wasn't. What was being held from me? What did he get that I didn't. When I asked about God, he never really knew the answer. Just told me what he was told. I was 10ish, but it got me to thinking that if he doesn't know anything about god, then maybe there is nothing to know. What I know is that this god thing is getting in my way.

I've never tried to learn about god. I've never tried to believe or wanted to believe in him. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare that would waste my time on Sundays. I've since found other ways to waste my time on Sunday morning. Premiere League.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

It took me a while to come to the realization that there is no god out there.

For years growing up I had been fascinated by the military and war, initially supporting the American cause in Vietnam.

Then as more and more atrocities started coming in, committed by both sides, it got me thinking, if there really is a god then why does he permit these incredibly horrible acts to take place.
Following the Vietnam war, there were the killing fields in Cambodia.

Millions of innocents died just in those two actions alone.
And it never seems to stop. Even today.

No, there is no god, just the never ending killing of innocents and young men, all ordered by old men.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 1st, 2022, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 1st, 2022, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I have a curiousity about a christian belief, my puzzlement began when I visited a family who had bought a church and made it their home, it was a really cool home worked well and they were happy.
So we were talking and the owner told me that before they bought it the church was "de-sanctified".
So when I ask a Christian where is god, the answer invariably is "everywhere".. If I am understanding this correctly they try to boot god out of buildings, when they believe god is everywhere??????????????????
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

I Think! Interesting that you were born and raised in Mendip Hills area. There are many legends and folklore galore around your area of a young Jesus coming to and spending time in Mendip and Cornwall. Many of Jesus's lost 18 years (12 - 30 Years old) were spend working and building his home and prayer Chapel in Avalon or today's Glastonbury. I'm sure you must have heard of them?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Pretty sure that all the stories about mohamed and jesus are about the same person and much of that is fantasy just like the whisper circles crossed with the chem trails conspiracies. "And then I heard ......................so it must be true".
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

I am not sure I every came to this conclusion. Does the god of the holy books exist, I truly doubt that, but could a god of another type exist? Somewhere in the mix of quantum mechanics and the collective unconscious there may well be a radiation of connective energy that joins and links our past in a manor that guides our future.
trump is a blight on that once great country.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

bb49 wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 8:53 pm No, there is no god, just the never ending killing of innocents and young men, all ordered by old men.
"Some say there's no God, but the demise of Madeleine Albright on the eve of the anniversary of the savage assault on that European capital (Belgrade) ..." - George Galloway (FULL INTERVIEW (YT): Author #GeorgeSamuely recounts Nato’s forgotten ‘humanitarian’ war on Yugoslavia)
The important thing is not to figure out if there's a God or not, because you'll never do it because God isn't talking in a loud voice like He supposedly did back in bible days, but the important thing is to have the "FEAR OF GOD"

:smt045

That's all that matters. Madeleine Not-So-bright, who thinks it's okay for 500,000 kids to be murdered, for a few rich billionaires that want more $$$, is now finding out that the "FEAR OF GOD" is all that matters.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

Thinktank wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 8:39 am is now finding out that the "FEAR OF GOD" is all that matters.
As pootin is about to find out.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Thinktank wrote: Mar 25th, 2022, 8:39 am
bb49 wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 8:53 pm No, there is no god, just the never ending killing of innocents and young men, all ordered by old men.
"Some say there's no God, but the demise of Madeleine Albright on the eve of the anniversary of the savage assault on that European capital (Belgrade) ..." - George Galloway (FULL INTERVIEW (YT): Author #GeorgeSamuely recounts Nato’s forgotten ‘humanitarian’ war on Yugoslavia)
The important thing is not to figure out if there's a God or not, because you'll never do it because God isn't talking in a loud voice like He supposedly did back in bible days, but the important thing is to have the "FEAR OF GOD"
It wasn't unusual that while young and unknowing, a child of mine would come out of his bedroom at night crying,
"Daddy, I'm scared, there's something in my room."

"Son, it's nothing more than your imagination. Here, let me hold you."

And he would fall asleep with me comforting him.

Now my kids are grown, matured and happy. They learned long ago that there are no Boogymen.

Fear is nothing more than a state of mind.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

bb49 wrote: Mar 27th, 2022, 10:13 pm They learned long ago that there are no Boogymen.
The funny thing is this - while more and more people are realizing there is no God, the people are getting more afraid than ever before.
Ian Hanomansing said the words coronavirus and vaccine and doses every seven seconds ( I counted it) when
he wanted to put the fear of covid into people.
"I just realized there is no god. ^^^
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

Thinktank wrote: Mar 28th, 2022, 6:43 am The funny thing is this - while more and more people are realizing there is no God, the people are getting more afraid than ever before.
Who said so? I think more people are becoming better at dealing with issues then they were even 10 years ago. The coronavirus as they say, what does not kill you makes you stronger.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”