Kelowna Civic Elections this October......HEAVY Changes Needed

Davis_Kyle

Re: Kelowna Civic Elections this October......HEAVY Changes Needed

Post by Davis_Kyle »

Good day all.

My name is Davis Kyle - you may have read in Infonews, the Courier, and Capital News that I am running for city council this fall. I submitted a press release to Castanet Thursday, but not dice on a news story so far.

Some highlights:

I have lived in Kelowna since moving here in 2003, and attended UVic for a Bachelor of Commerce. I work in infrastructure procurement for the federal government, working on everything from highway projects to site cleanups in BC and the Yukon. Some here may stereotype by saying that I work for the feds, and now want a second public-sector job. I say that my day-to-day responsibility is making sure that taxpayers get good value on projects, a core responsibility of city council. Making sure that the right investments are made to improve our community, all while fiscal responsibility is exercised - those are my values.

We may not agree on every issue, but you will know where I stand. I think suburban sprawl into the hills increases traffic and forest fire risk, so I support "gentle density" and "missing middle" housing inside the permanent growth boundary as the preferred urban form for Kelowna's future wherever possible. Even then, we can do that while opposing any apartment building between the last road and Okanagan lake. I also support infrastructure upgrades, but I prefer declaring war on traffic lights and stop signs, replacing them with roundabouts or protected intersections, over the couple road extensions in the TMP, because I think that will benefit the whole community, not just a couple areas. Speaking of benefiting local communities - I support Kelowna moving to a ward system, along with a ranked ballot for mayoral elections.

If you want an independent voice with new energy, I would ask that you consider going to my website, KyleforKelowna.com to read my platform. I would also appreciate any small donations anyone could give by ETransfer, as I don't have a war chest of big donors to draw from.

All the best, and please send me any questions you may have. I am camping in Cathedral Provincial Park from tomorrow until Canada Day, but will reply as soon as I can.

Davis Kyle
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

We go through this process every few years and we always get the same result. Candidates promise to look after the interests of us all. But in the end, their financial backers will get their roads and sewer and water lines built to near their future developments. The candidates will promise during the campaign to deliver a "vibrant" community for us all, but in the end another group of developers, lurking in the background, will get their rezoning.

Affordable housing? You're dreaming. There's no money for the real estate leeches in that. Developers will get their candidates on council and the cash machine for developers will continue unabated.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hard to disagree.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

EdCase wrote: Jun 25th, 2022, 6:54 am Generally people don’t understand that their municipal government has more impact on the quality of their daily lives than the senior levels…so please get engaged and vote!
That's true. Unless one lives in a major metro like Vancouver or Toronto, where the mayoral elections become National News (and the candidates have their eye potentially as an MLA or MP).
the truth wrote: Jun 26th, 2022, 4:03 pm
what we need is a bunch of real working people running and win seats-blue color workers who understand what is going on in the real world, not a bunch of paid off useless humps who are in it for themselves and friends
It still costs money to run a campaign. Plato's reluctant leader won't be governing anytime soon.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
spooker

Post by spooker »

CrystalCity wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 9:21 am
EdCase wrote: Jun 25th, 2022, 6:54 am Generally people don’t understand that their municipal government has more impact on the quality of their daily lives than the senior levels…so please get engaged and vote!
That's true. Unless one lives in a major metro like Vancouver or Toronto, where the mayoral elections become National News (and the candidates have their eye potentially as an MLA or MP).
Can we say Tracy Gray? Not just the bigger metropolises
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Tracy Gray's running as councilor didn't become national news, nor did Terry Lake when he ran for Mayor in Kamloops. Doug Ford, Gordan Campbell, and Gregor Robinson made national news, as did the Mayor of Calgary.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Davis_Kyle wrote: Jun 26th, 2022, 4:51 pm Good day all.

My name is Davis Kyle - you may have read in Infonews, the Courier, and Capital News that I am running for city council this fall. I submitted a press release to Castanet Thursday, but not dice on a news story so far.

Some highlights:

I have lived in Kelowna since moving here in 2003, and attended UVic for a Bachelor of Commerce. I work in infrastructure procurement for the federal government, working on everything from highway projects to site cleanups in BC and the Yukon. Some here may stereotype by saying that I work for the feds, and now want a second public-sector job. I say that my day-to-day responsibility is making sure that taxpayers get good value on projects, a core responsibility of city council. Making sure that the right investments are made to improve our community, all while fiscal responsibility is exercised - those are my values.

We may not agree on every issue, but you will know where I stand. I think suburban sprawl into the hills increases traffic and forest fire risk, so I support "gentle density" and "missing middle" housing inside the permanent growth boundary as the preferred urban form for Kelowna's future wherever possible. Even then, we can do that while opposing any apartment building between the last road and Okanagan lake. I also support infrastructure upgrades, but I prefer declaring war on traffic lights and stop signs, replacing them with roundabouts or protected intersections, over the couple road extensions in the TMP, because I think that will benefit the whole community, not just a couple areas. Speaking of benefiting local communities - I support Kelowna moving to a ward system, along with a ranked ballot for mayoral elections.

If you want an independent voice with new energy, I would ask that you consider going to my website, KyleforKelowna.com to read my platform. I would also appreciate any small donations anyone could give by ETransfer, as I don't have a war chest of big donors to draw from.

All the best, and please send me any questions you may have. I am camping in Cathedral Provincial Park from tomorrow until Canada Day, but will reply as soon as I can.

Davis Kyle
"I support Kelowna moving to a ward system"...........this is what EVERY person running for a position needs to be asked......in favour, you will be considered on that basis..........against a ward system......get the :cuss: out of here! The other question is "how soon can a ward system be set up". With a ward system you will NEVER see the likes of these disgusting, low IQ'd, freeloading people like Dehart or Given EVER AGAIN!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... nouncement

i have had personal dealings with dyas no -bs-, wolf in sheeps clothing people just another basran
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

I want to see someone run with a platform of building a 50 storey tower for Airbnbs in the North end, featuring a corner retail space for a Starbucks (facing the lake of course), Sephora, Nature's Fare, and a Banana Republic in the other corners. It will look like the stereotypical Hotel/Condo, and take 20 years for completion. Oh and 30% reduced parking too, yep!
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

the truth wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 1:06 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... nouncement

i have had personal dealings with dyas no -bs-, wolf in sheeps clothing people just another basran
Picking between Basran and Dyas for Mayor is like choosing the tallest dwarf to captain a basketball team.

It says a lot about this town that so few serious candidates put themselves forward for civic office. I’ve talked to a couple of well experienced and qualified people who should run, but they won’t consider it…
  • *They will not have the power to undertake the serious housecleaning that City Hall requires, starting at the top,
    *They are not prepared to waste time serving a community that is so disengaged from the civic process,
    *They are typically already serving the community in ways they feel are more productive.
At a time when this community will be facing very trying times and having to make some tough choices, we have a City Hall and Council Chamber that is just plain incompetent.
Last edited by EdCase on Jun 27th, 2022, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yap, pretty much says it all, this town is :cuss:
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Davis_Kyle wrote: Jun 26th, 2022, 4:51 pm Good day all.

Some highlights:

Davis Kyle
You had my vote when you mentioned the need for a ward system and ranked balloting for Mayor: our current system favours the entrenched incumbents and the special interests that back them. You also bring a fresh, younger voice to a Council Chamber that is living proof that not all the dinosaurs went extinct.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I did not live here very long and in just over a year I was astounded by the "do nothing" city council. Called them over several very simple issues and the responses could have come from anybody I would ask walking down the street........I said to myself, "how could a city this size vote in such stupid :cuss: ing people"?

A year later I threw my name in..........did all of the question sessions that were set up and talked to business owners in the downtown area. Being "new" to Kelowna and UNKNOWN I still received around 800 votes........no signs but leaflets and minimal social media.

All I know for sure is that I could not be in the same room as a Given or Dehart.........that kind of STUPID is contagious!

.......on second thought, being in the same room with them would be............. :fence:
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

lesliepaul wrote: Jun 28th, 2022, 8:49 pm I did not live here very long and in just over a year I was astounded by the "do nothing" city council. Called them over several very simple issues and the responses could have come from anybody I would ask walking down the street........I said to myself, "how could a city this size vote in such stupid :cuss: ing people"?

A year later I threw my name in..........did all of the question sessions that were set up and talked to business owners in the downtown area. Being "new" to Kelowna and UNKNOWN I still received around 800 votes........no signs but leaflets and minimal social media.

All I know for sure is that I could not be in the same room as a Given or Dehart.........that kind of STUPID is contagious!

.......on second thought, being in the same room with them would be............. :fence:
You should try running again!
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

I hope Given tags along with Donn.

She's horrid as a council member.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Civic Elections 2022”